IPL Photofacial is a non-invasive procedure that uses intense pulsed light to improve the appearance of skin and treat a variety of issues. The process utilizes high-intensity light waves from targeted treatments to reduce redness on your face by breaking down collagen via photochemistry reaction without destroying the topmost layer (epidermis).
Benefits of IPL Photofacial Treatment?
- Age Spots
- Sun Damage
- Vascular Lesions
- Lessens redness
- Skin looks brighter and more even-toned
- Visibly reduce lines and wrinkles around the mouth and forehead
- Decreases or removes broken facial capillaries
- Visibly smoothed skin texture
- Decrease appearance of pores
Frequently Asked Questions
Lumecca is the most powerful intense pulsed light (IPL) to treat pigmented and vascular lesions. After just one use, patients notice significant improvements in the complexion and clarity of the skin. Lumecca operates using photothermolysis, which provides a photo facial through the delivery of a comfortable light treatment.
There is very significant clinical evidence of improved results when using IPL treatments before injections of dermal fillers. The use of light pulses prior to dermal filler treatment has significantly more positive effects than just filler on its own. This can be explained through increased blood flow in the area (and therefore more nutrients) with no downtime whereas IPL alone on an area will not give you this immediate benefit. Furthermore, IPL treatments on their own may cause purpura (discoloration), but these side effects are minimized used in conjunction with SkinPen treatments.
In just 1-3 sessions Lumecca improves the appearance of:
- Age spots (red/brown pigmentations)
- Vascular lesions such as facial telangiectasias (spider veins) and poikiloderma
- Rosacea (redness)
- Sun damage
There are many benefits of IPL photofacial treatments. Some of the benefits include:
- A Reduction in Age Spots: There are several ways that IPL photofacials can help with the reduction of age spots. One way is by destroying the cells that produce melanin, which is a key component in the development of age spots. Additionally, IPL photofacials can stimulate collagen production, which can promote the growth of new skin cells and help to reduce the size and appearance of existing age spots.
- The Elimination of Sun Damage: IPL photofacials work by damaging the skin’s ailing cells, which triggers the production of new skin cells. This process helps to improve the look of sun-damaged skin and can help to eliminate any associated sun-related skin damage.
- Removing Vascular Lesions: If you have a lesion, IPL photofacials help to remove the lesion by destroying the cancerous cells, and preventing the lesion from returning. In this instance, IPL is typically used in combination with other treatments, such as surgery or medication, to achieve the best results. However, IPL can be used on its own in some cases to improve cosmetic outcomes.
- Lessening Redness: IPL photofacials feature a type of laser that can help lessen redness. They work by targeting and destroying the pigment that is causing the redness. This can often help reduce the appearance of reddened skin, as well as improve overall skin tone.
- Treating Rosacea: The use of IPL photofacials has been shown to be an excellent treatment for Rosacea. This is due to the fact that IPL photofacials heat up the skin, which causes the affected pores to become blocked and enlarged. This in turn helps to clear up the skin and reduce the redness that is commonly associated with Rosacea.
- Eliminating Freckles: While IPL is not the only type of treatment that can be used to eliminate freckles, it is one of the most effective and recommended options. The laser energy penetrates the skin’s surface and this stimulates the body to destroy the cells that are responsible for the appearance of freckles. Over time, this will result in a decreased number of freckles and a more uniform coloration overall.
- Making Skin Look Brighter and More Even-Toned: If you are looking to achieve a brighter and/or a more even skin tone, then IPL may be the solution for you. The intense pulsing light is known to help improve uneven pigmentation and give the skin a brighter and more even appearance.
- Visibly Reducing Lines and Wrinkles Around the Mouth and Forehead: There are a few ways that IPL can help with visibly reducing lines and wrinkles around the mouth and forehead. First, IPL can help to break up the collagen fibers that make up these lines and wrinkles, which can then cause them to shrink and fade. Second, IPL can help reduce scar tissue, which often makes these lines and wrinkles look more or less gone. Finally, IPL can improve blood circulation in these areas, which will help to keep them looking young and healthy.
- Decreasing or Removing Broken Facial Capillaries: Broken facial capillaries are a common occurrence in the aging population. They can often lead to decreased blood flow and a decrease in the quality of life. IPL photofacials have been shown to be an effective way of decreasing or removing broken facial capillaries. The high-intensity light from the IPL photofacial procedure will stimulate the release of natural healing proteins and other chemicals that help to break down the capillary wall.
- Visible Smoothening of Skin Texture: As IPL photofacials are designed to destroy the underlying cells of the skin, this will result in smoother, more uniform-looking skin as new cells are generated. In this instance as with many others, IPL photofacials may be preferable to other skin smoothening treatments, such as surgery: they are non-invasive, they can be performed multiple times on the same area without any noticeable side effects, and they can be used on a wide range of skin types.
- Decreasing the Appearance of Pores: IPL photofacials use short wavelength light to destroy the pixels in the epidermis that create pores. The results of an IPL photofacial for pore treatment are typically seen within two weeks, and they can be highly effective at reducing the appearance of pores. IPL photofacials are a common choice for decreasing the appearance of pores because they have a rapid turnaround time and are not damaging to the healthy areas of the skin.
- Treating Acne: The IPL light beam is able to target and destroy the bacteria responsible for causing acne. This therapy has been found to be as effective as antibiotics in treating acne and comes with fewer side effects. In addition, IPL is relatively painless, making it an ideal option for those who are reluctant to use traditional treatments. So, if you are looking for an effective and safe treatment for your acne, consider seeking out IPL therapy.
- Elimination of Dark Circles and Under Eye Bags: Every person desires to look younger and more radiant with each passing year. Unfortunately, most of us will, at some point in our lives, experience the dreaded dark circles and under-eye bags that develop around the eyes and under the eyes. If you have these already, there’s no need to worry. This is because IPL photofacials can be used to target and break down the fatty tissue that contributes to the problem of dark circles and under-eye bags. So if you’re looking for a way to get your under-eye bags and dark circles eliminated quickly and easily, consider using IPL treatment.
Lumecca can be used on all areas of the body. The most common areas of treatment are zones that are regularly exposed to the sun. This often includes the face, neck, décolletage, legs, hands and arms.
Avoid direct, excessive sun exposure or tanning one month prior to treatment.
During treatment there will be a bright flash of light from the Lumecca that feels like a light elastic sensation. Redness and a slight warming of the skin are normal after treatment and usually subsides within an hour. Over the next 24-48 hours you may see a darkening of pigmented spots; in the week afterwards, the pigmented lesions flake off, leading to an evening out of skin tone. After treating vascular lesions, you may see the vein blanch and disappear or a color change in the vessel which dissipates after a few days.
An improved skin appearance can be noted after the first session. Multiple sessions provide even better results. Treatment regime depends on the severity of skin damage, skin type, type of treatment (vascular vs sun damage) and energy settings.
Sun damage and skin complexion results can be seen a few days after the first session. The skin will continue to look younger and more brilliant over time with most visible results after 1-2 weeks. Having multiple photo facial sessions will improve the final result. For vascular treatments such as facial telangiectasias, results can be seen in up to 2 weeks.
Most patients do not experience any side effects and any skin reaction usually resolves within a few hours. Patients may find they are sensitive to sunlight immediately after treatment. It is recommended to avoid direct sunlight and tanning.
When seeking aesthetic enhancement, some people turn to laser treatments such as IPL photofacials. However, before getting this treatment, many people are not sure what the recovery time is.
The good news is that most people who receive an IPL photofacial experience minimal discomfort and can return to their regular activities right away. However, individuals should be aware that there may be some temporary redness and swelling for a few days. Some patients may experience itching after the treatment. All of these symptoms typically go away within a few days, but they may occasionally last longer.
Yes, skin tone is a determiner as to whether IPL photofacials are right for you. If you have dark skin, you should not use IPL. The reason for this is that darker pigment is what IPL aims to remove. Tan or dark skin prevents the wavelength from distinguishing between healthy and diseased skin. IPL treatments on dark or tanned skin can lead to skin discoloration, skin burns, and blistering of the skin. However, there are varying levels of skin darkness and tans. So, if you want to know if IPL is suited for your skin type and aesthetic objectives, the best thing to do is speak with a professional skin care specialist.
While there is no one answer to how many sessions you need, the best way to assess your needs is by scheduling a consultation with your doctor or aesthetician. They can help determine the number of photofacial sessions necessary for your individual case. Often, the recommended number of sessions is three. But even if your recommendation is for more sessions or for less, you can rest assured that you can achieve fantastic skin results with IPL photofacial sessions!
In recent years, IPL (intense pulsed light) treatments have become increasingly popular for skin care. IPL is a non-invasive laser treatment that uses a high-energy beam to break down the pigmentation in the skin thus promoting collagen production.
An IPL process is safe; it employs the use of a photochemistry reaction that won’t destroy the topmost layer of your skin (epidermis). The treatment also has minimal side effects, making it an ideal choice for someone looking for a long-term solution for their skin care needs.
IPL photofacials are most often used on areas where there is visible aging or signs of skin damage, such as wrinkles and scars. In some cases, IPL Photofacials are used in combination with other treatments (such as antibiotics and cosmetic fillers) to treat more severe skin conditions.
There are a few things to keep in mind before undergoing an IPL treatment, including choosing the right clinic and consulting with a doctor beforehand to ensure that your skin is healthy and your skin tone is suitable for the procedure.